The 2018 Elections for Officers and Governors of the Society concluded on Monday, 24 September. Thanks to all the SMPTE Members who participated as candidates and voters, helping to shape the leadership of our Society.
The election results are below. All positions carry two-year terms, beginning 1 January 2019 and ending 31 December 2020.
For SMPTE policies and procedures regarding Society Elections, including determination and appeal of election results, please see Section 9.5 of the Governance Operations Manual.
Thank you to Mindshare Capture Consulting for Conducting and Producing the Candidate Interviews, and to Technicolor, Inc. for sponsoring this project.
2019 - 2020 Board Officers
The Board Officers comprise the Executive Committee, which, according to the Governance Operations Manual, "takes interim action on urgent policy or business matters which arise between Board meetings, and serves the Board by maintaining a close and continuing supervision over the operations of the Society." A listing of current Board Officers can be found here: https://www.smpte.org/board
Vice President Technology
Dr. Hans Hoffmann
Senior Manager - Media Production Technologies
European Broadcasting Union – Technology and Innovation Dep.
John E. Ferder
2019 - 2020 Regional Governors
As stated in the Governance Operations Manual, the Board of Governors "is the top governing body of the Society and within the framework of the Bylaws decides policy which governs all Society activities...[The] Board is comprised of Society Officers, Regional Governors, and members elected by the Board." Specific information on the duties and responsibilities of the Board can be found in Section 7 of the Governance Operations Manual.
A listing of the current members of the Board of Governors can be found here: https://www.smpte.org/board
System Architect / Product Owner
Grass Valley, a Belden Brand
USA - Central Region
William T. Hayes
Director of Engineering and Technology
Iowa Public Television
USA - Eastern Region
James M. Burger
Thompson Coburn LLP
Europe, Africa, Middle East,
Central and South America Region
President and Founder
USA - Hollywood Region
Director, Technology Standards & Strategy
The Walt Disney Studios
Director, Post Partnerships & Integrations (PPI)
USA - New York Region
Rosemarie (Rose) Lockwood
Regional Sales Engineer, Northeastern US
USA - Southern Region
Senior Vice President, Digital Media Systems
USA - Western Region
United Kingdom Region
All members* who cast their vote were entered into a raffle and below are the winners! Congratulations and thanks for your participation!
- Grand Prize: One complimentary year of membership dues
- Alan Hart, USA - Hollywood Region
- Second Prize: Complimentary copy of the SMPTE Centennial book, Magic and Miracles - 100 Years of Moving Image Science and Technology
- Peter Armstrong, Canadian Region
- Third Prize: $50 gift certificate to the SMPTE Store
- Aki Seino - Asia Pacific Region
- Shaun Case – USA - Western Region
- Jeffrey Stansfield - USA - Hollywood Region
- Runner-Up Prize: $25 gift certificate to the SMPTE Store
- Kurt Kinzel – USA - Hollywood Region
- Mike Connor – USA - Western Region
- Sudharsan Venugopal – Asia-Pacific Region
- Mark Gander – USA - Hollywood Region
- Bob Hudleson – USA - Western Region