HDR Technology and Workflows for M&E - Instructor Led
- Get to know the entire HDR chain, from lighting to capture, post production, encoding, delivery, and display
- Understand the practical implications of establishing various HDR workflows
- Build an extensive vocabulary around HDR and learn how to communicate effectively about related systems and workflows
- Learn about the scientific building blocks that allow HDR to deliver stunning image quality
- Personal attention and access to your instructors via the online discussion forum
- 1h-long weekly live, online, interactive instructor-led coaching sessions
- Recorded instructor coaching sessions for on-demand playback and review
- Two attempts at each quiz and final exam
- SMPTE Certificate of Achievement (Participants must meet minimum course requirements (a 70% cumulative score for all quizzes, exams, and assignments) to receive the certificate)
- Continued access to course materials through SMPTE’s Virtual Classroom Alumni Center when you opt in
Bringing viewers brighter highlights and greater contrast, high dynamic range (HDR) has been eagerly embraced across the media and entertainment industry. However, while HDR offers clear benefits, it also requires adaption throughout the end-to-end workflow, from capture and mastering through to delivery and display. This SMPTE Virtual Classroom course, “HDR Technology and Workflows for M&E,” will help you to understand critical concepts and practical considerations across the HDR workflow. With deeper knowledge of HDR workflows, formats, and display technologies, you can aid your company in successfully implementing HDR or help the organization explore possibilities for improving existing HDR workflows.
- Module 1 - HDR its Lights, its Properties, and its Capture
- Module 2 - Dynamic Range
- Module 3 - The High Dynamic Range Ecosystem
- Module 4 - HDR Capture
- Module 5 - HDR Displays
- Module 6 - HDR Workflows
- Module 7 - Content Analysis & HDR Potential
- Module 8 - The Future of HDR
Led by advanced imaging specialist Pierre Routhier, this SMPTE Virtual Classroom course will cover critical concepts and practical considerations across the HDR workflow, from mastering to production, distribution, and viewing. In exploring workflows for mastering HDR content for theatrical and home distribution, course modules will delve into foundational building blocks of HDR including human perception of light and how it is captured, the opto-electronic transfer function (OETF), the electro-optical transfer function (EOTF), the HDR ecosystem, HDR displays, HDR workflows, and more. Overall, the course will help practitioners, technologists, and engineers involved with preproduction, production, post production, display, and archiving to gain a deeper understanding of HDR that will support their current work, or open up possibilities for new roles and responsibilities.
Former aerospace engineer Pierre Hugues Routhier is a specialist in advanced imaging technologies that provides training to studios, manufacturers, and broadcasters worldwide. He has developed innovative solutions and workflows for studios and postproduction facilities in all fields of advanced imaging: ultra-high resolution, high frame rate, VR/AR, HDR, and others. Routhier is credited with more than a dozen patents related to advanced imaging and has been published in several industry papers. His latest book, “High Dynamic Range for Television and Motion Pictures: A Digital Troublemaker Guide,” has quickly become an industry reference on HDR for broadcast and motion pictures.
- “Very interesting and made me look at utilizing HDR workflow for my own projects in the future as well as the mandated HDR projects at work”
- “Module 7 is extremely helpful, providing insight into various analysis tools to analyze how HDR may enhance the viewer experience”
- Any of SMPTE's Virtual Classroom courses are also available as private sessions for organizations. Contact us for details about private course options and with any curriculum questions.
- If you register but cannot attend and would like your registration fee applied to a future course, please contact us. A $75 transfer fee will apply.
- If you cannot meet your course deadline, you can request an extension. A $100 extension fee will apply. Please contact us to ask for an extension.
- Refunds will be issued for cancellations made at least three weeks prior to the course start date, less a 10% ($100 for CCNA courses) cancellation fee. No refunds will be issued after that time.
- SMPTE Education Team contact: email@example.com