IMF and the Future of Media Delivery and Interchange
- Get the latest insights about IMF from the experts who helped to develop the format
- Gain a better understanding of media versioning, packaging, and delivery
- Find out how IMF applications can help optimize your company’s content interchange workflows
- Learn how to build an IMF delivery application tailored to your specific content interchange requirements
- Work toward mastery of IMF that you can leverage to improve how your organization works now and to further your career in the future
- Access to your instructors via the online discussion forum*
- Limited class size for more personalized attention
- Weekly live, online, interactive instructor-led coaching sessions*
- Recorded instructor coaching sessions for on-demand playback and review
- SMPTE Certificate of Achievement**
- Continued access to course materials through SMPTE’s Virtual Classroom Alumni Center
IMF Essentials: What You Need To Know
The Interoperable Master Format (IMF) solves many of the problems of content versioning, potentially saving time, money, and resources. However, this relatively new mastering and delivery format has its complexities! SMPTE’s virtual course titled “IMF Essentials: What You Need to Know” helps you better understand this vital new format so you can help your organization take advantage of its significant benefits. With this knowledge, you can help yourself and your organization improve content interchange and optimize IMF applications and workflows.
- Module 1 - What problem does IMF solve?
- Module 2 - IMF Composition
- Module 3 - IMF Track Files, IMP and Delivery
- Module 4 - Working with IMF
Developed and facilitated by Bruce Devlin, SMPTE Standards vice president, and Pierre-Anthony Lemieux, chair of the SMPTE technology committee for media packaging and interchange (TC 35PM) and lead editor of the standard, the course will examine the challenges IMF standards help to overcome and how the standards work, how they are used, and how they improve content interchange.
Devlin and Lemieux will guide you through the details of the IMF family of standards, moving from the high-level requirements to the low-level details in a structured, easy-to-understand way. As they progress through course modules, you will learn how to build a delivery specification based on an existing IMF application specification and how the many layers of IMF contribute to optimized IMF applications and workflow. In addition, you will have the opportunity to ask specific application-related questions and receive expert answers!
Bruce Devlin has 30 years’ experience as an engineer in the media and entertainment technology industry. He has designed antennas, ASICs, software, algorithms, systems, and standards, and he is best known for being @MrMXF, a role in which he provides training courses that clearly explain the benefits of complex technologies. Devlin has delivered projects on MXF, IMF, standards, system infrastructure design, and cloud-based software implementations, among others
Pierre-Anthony Lemieux is an expert in the digital media ecosystem, from content authoring to playback, including audio-video formats and codecs, Internet protocols, web, 3D, home networks, and DRM. He has architected systems for a wide range of platforms, from embedded systems to web applications, including content distribution systems over physical media and IP networks. He is the author of worldwide technical standards, and he is the inventor on multiple patents.
Past IMF Virtual Course participants say:
“Thank you for another great course. I have been very fortunate to be doing this course while at the same time going through IMF on-boarding with a streaming service, and doing this step by step along the way has been very helpful.”
“Thank you for the opportunity. It has been a very good experience learning from an industry professional who has been ‘in the field.’”
“Thanks for all the useful information and the great level of access to the course materials.”
“Extremely helpful for my job and staying up to date with the latest industry trends.”
Groups of 3 – 5 participants may register together for a 10% discount.
Groups of 6 - 11 participants may register together for a 15% discount.
Groups of 12 or more participants may register together for a 20% discount.
Any of SMPTE's Virtual Classroom courses are available as private sessions for organizations. Contact us for details about private course options and with any curriculum questions.
If you register, but cannot attend and would like your registration fee applied to a future course, please contact us. A $75 transfer fee will apply.
If you cannot meet your course deadline, you can request an extension. A $100 extension fee will apply. Please contact us to ask for an extension.
Refunds will be issued for cancellations made at least three weeks prior to the course start date, less a 10% ($100 for CCNA courses) cancellation fee. No refunds will be issued after that time.
SMPTE Education Team contact: email@example.com