Student Membership Challenge
Students Become a Member for Free!
Bill Miller, a SMPTE Fellow and Progress Medal honoree, has challenged the membership to a fund that pays for the first year of membership for new student members. He will personally match donations, up to a total of $5000!
Your first year of SMPTE Membership can be yours, free! Click the button below to get started. Once you have completed the application, we will let you know how your membership will be supported.
What is the Student Membership Challenge?
Proposed by Bill Miller, the Student Membership Challenge is a fund that represents donations by members who wish to support students as SMPTE members. Bill has generously agreed to match donations up to $5000. As Bill says, “Donate so that you will cost me money!”
SMPTE needs to attract students to membership to help us grow – and we need the best and brightest in our industry. One of the best ways to do this is to educate college students in technical fields about our industry through their membership in SMPTE. Even though the $15 annual student dues may seem to be quite modest, for a student on a very limited budget, paying for college, $15 can be a significant amount.
How can you help?
SMPTE has set up a Student Membership Challenge Fund for this purpose. Bill has committed to personally match dollar-for-dollar all contributions to this fund up to $5,000.
Remember to check if your employer offers matching charitable contributions; please look into this as policies vary from company to company. Bill will match company contributions as well as individual, so if you have a company match, your every donation would be multiplied fourfold. Please look into this as policies vary by company.
And since SMPTE is a non-profit scientific, educational or cultural institution qualified under section 501(c)3 of the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, your contribution is tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law.
To Donate to the Student Membership Challenge:
You may contribute to this fund by credit card or by check. To donate by credit card, simply press the “Donate” button. The donation will go directly to the SMPTE Membership Challenge Fund.
If you wish to contribute by check, please send your check, made out to SMPTE to:
SMPTE Student Membership Challenge
White Plains Plaza
445 Hamilton Avenue Ste 601
White Plains, NY 10601-1827
Please also note on the check that the contribution should go to the Student Membership Challenge Fund.
Each donation will be acknowledged with a letter from SMPTE. If you have any questions, please contact Roberta Gorman in the SMPTE Membership department.
Students: Join now and get your first year of membership, free!
Being a Student member helps you connect with leaders in the industry and get acquainted with the technology through local Section activities. Student members are also eligible for scholarships for ongoing study.
Student membership benefits include:
* Participation in Student Chapters
* Louis F. Wolf Jr. Memorial Scholarship
* Student Paper Award
* Student Resources
* Access to the SMPTE Motion Imaging Journal – both in print and online
* The SMPTE digital library, including free access to all issues of the Motion Imaging Journal back to 1916, as well as discounts on conference papers and proceedings.
* Discount on SMPTE and select industry conferences
* Connection with your local Section
* Easy access to SMPTE’s social media connections on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn
* Subscription to monthly e-newsletters: SMPTE Monthly eNewsletter and Newswatch
* Exclusive access to the Online Members Only Area, including the SMPTE Member Directory
* Extensive access to the Professional Development Academy programs including live and archived webinars and conference recordings
* US Members: Includes the SMPTE Personal Portfolio Benefits listed under Professional membership
Proof of student status is required upon joining.