Louis F. Wolf Jr. Memorial Scholarship
Goals and Objectives
The Louis F. Wolf Jr. Memorial Scholarship was established to help students further their undergraduate or graduate studies in motion pictures and television with an emphasis on technology.
- Open To Currently Enrolled, Full-Time Undergraduate or Graduate Student Members; Extra Credit May Be Awarded For Volunteer Work/Leadership.
- Applicants must be full-time students enrolled in an accredited, 2 or 4-year college or university majoring in a program emphasizing the engineering, science, advanced technologies or fundamental theories associated with motion-imaging, sound, metadata and workflows consistent with SMPTE’s field of practice and have completed a minimum of four courses toward said major in good academic standing.
- Applicants must be current SMPTE members. SMPTE Student membership is available for $10 per year, but applicants may apply to receive a complimentary first year of membership through the SMPTE Student Membership Challenge.
Amount of Scholarship
The amount of the scholarship will be $5,000 (USD).
Scholarship funds will be paid to the scholarship recipient’s educational institution. Funds may not be paid directly to the recipient. In addition, the award includes full conference registration to the SMPTE 2019 Annual Technical Conference & Exhibition in Los Angeles. Scholarship winners will be recognized at the Awards Gala during the conference.
Applicants must submit an Application Form, along with the following:
- Current official transcript sent directly from the school.
- An essay (maximum 400 words) explaining the applicant’s long- and short-term goals, extra-curricular activities (including volunteer work and leadership, if applicable), awards and accomplishments, financial need, and applicant’s reasons to pursue an education/ career in this field.
- A letter of recommendation, submitted from an advisor, professor or instructor, on official school stationary, outlining the applicant’s qualifications for the scholarship consistent with SMPTE’s field of interest and the scholarship's objectives. The letter of recommendation must be signed and dated and must include the Recommender's name, title, address, telephone number, and email address.
Application form and Essay should be submitted via email to Sally-Ann D'Amato
Letters of recommendation and transcripts may be sent electronically, if possible, or in hard copy to:
445 Hamilton Ave., Ste 601
White Plains, NY 10601-1509 USA
Telephone: + 1 914 761 1100
Application Deadline: Monday 3 June 2019
Questions may be directed to: Sally-Ann D'Amato
The list of previous recipients may be found here.