Louis F. Wolf, Jr. Memorial Scholarship
2015 Louis F. Wolf, Jr. Scholarship Recipients Victoria McGowen and Matthew Donato
Goals and Objectives
The Louis F. Wolf, Jr. Memorial Scholarship is designed to help students further their undergraduate studies in motion pictures and television, with an emphasis on technology.
- Open To Currently Enrolled, Full-Time Undergraduate Student Members; Extra Credit May Be Awarded For Volunteer Work/Leadership.
- Applicants must be full-time students enrolled in an accredited, 2- or 4-year college or university, majoring in a program emphasizing the engineering, science, advanced technologies or fundamental theories associated with motion imaging, sound, metadata and workflows consistent with SMPTE’s field of interest, and must have completed a minimum of four courses toward said major in good academic standing.
- Applicants must be current SMPTE members. SMPTE Student membership is available for $35 per year. Join Now. Applicants may also apply to receive a complimentary first year of membership through the SMPTE Student Membership Challenge.
Amount of Scholarship
The amount of the scholarship will be $5,000.
Scholarship funds will be paid to the scholarship recipient’s educational institution, earmarked for tuition. Funds may not be paid directly to the recipient. In addition, the award includes full conference registration to the SMPTE 2015 Technical Conference and Exhibition in Hollywood, CA, 26-29 October 2015. Scholarship winners will be recognized at the Honors and Awards Ceremony during the Conference.
Applicants must submit an Application Form, and the following:
- Applicant's name, address, telephone number, and email address.
- Current official transcript (grade report), sent directly from the school.
- An essay (maximum 400 words) explaining the applicant’s long- and short-term goals, extra-curricular activities (including volunteer work and leadership, if applicable), awards and accomplishments, financial need, and applicant’s reasons to pursue an education/ career in this field.
- A letter of recommendation, submitted from an advisor, professor or instructor, on official school stationary, outlining the applicant’s qualifications for the scholarship consistent with SMPTE’s field of interest and the scholarship's objectives. The letter of recommendation must be signed and dated and must include the Recommender's name, title, address, telephone number, and email address.
- A signed letter from the school’s registrar stating the student’s commitment to return to school following the award of scholarship.
Applications should be submitted via email or postal mail to Sally-Ann D'Amato
*Note that for emailed applications, letters of recommendation must be sent by the Recommender, and transcripts must be sent directly from the school to the following address:
Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers
3 Barker Avenue
White Plains, New York 10601 USA
Applications must be received by 18 May 2015.
Questions may be directed to: Sally-Ann D'Amato
The list of previous recipients may be found here.