Louis F. Wolf Memorial Scholarship
Natalie Morningstar accepts the 2012 Lou Wolf Scholarship from Pete Lude
Goals and Objectives
The Louis F. Wolf Memorial Scholarship is designed to help students further their undergraduate or graduate studies in motion pictures and television, with an emphasis on technology.
Applicants must be:
- Full-time students enrolled in an accredited high school, 2- or 4-year college or university
- Current members of SMPTE. SMPTE Student membership is available for $35 per year. Join Now. Applicants may also apply to receive a complimentary first year of membership through the SMPTE Student Membership Challenge.
Amount of Scholarship
The amount of the scholarship will be up to $2,000.
Each award will be paid to the accredited educational institution the scholarship winner is attending. In addition, the award includes full conference registration to the SMPTE 2014 Technical Conference and Exhibition in Hollywood, CA. Scholarship winners will be recognized at the Honors and Awards Ceremony during the Conference.
Applicants must submit an Application Form, and the following:
- Applicant's name, address, telephone number, and email address.
- Current official transcript (grade report).
- Personal statement of work experience and/or interests that are relevant to the application.
- Personal statement of goals and objectives of study. This statement should explain the reasons why the applicant wishes to pursue studies in motion pictures and television with an emphasis on technology, and must be signed by the Applicant.
- Personal statement of proposed use of funds. Funds may be applied toward tuition, books, supplies, and/or equipment that will further the Applicant's studies.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from responsible persons, citing the specific reasons why the Recommender believes the Applicant is deserving of the Scholarship. The letter of recommendation must be signed and dated and must include the Recommender's name, title, address, telephone number, and email address. One letter of recommendation must come from a SMPTE student chapter advisor or a Governor of SMPTE.
Applicants who are not attending institutions where a student chapter is located may find a list of Governors in their region in the SMPTE Motion Imaging Journal or by clicking here.
Fill out the Application Form, and send it along with supporting materials in hard copy to:
Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers
3 Barker Avenue
White Plains, New York 10601 USA
Or via email to Sally-Ann D'Amato
*Note that for emailed applications, letters of recommendation must be sent by the Recommender, and transcripts must be sent directly from the school.
Applications must be postmarked or emailed by 15 July 2014.
Questions may be directed to: Sally-Ann D'Amato
The list of previous recipients may be found here.