Linwood Dunn Theater - 1313 N. Vine St. - Hollywood (free parking in the rear of the building)
Pre-show get together at 6:30pm, program begins at 7:30pm
Refreshments sponsored by Technicolor
Universal Pictures recently completed a full restoration of the 1930 feature “The Right To Love”. Using before and after restoration footage, the screening of the feature will be introduced by Bob O’Neil, VP Image Assets & Preservation and Tom Regal, Director, Audio Restoration & Preservation, both with Universal.
“The Right To Love” was directed by Richard Wallace and starred Ruth Chatterton and David Manners. Charles Lang was nominated for a best cinematography Oscar. It’s technically a very interesting movie, with visual effects work cutting-edge for its time, including the C. Dodge Dunning matting process. This allowed Chatterton to play both mother and daughter in the same shots of the film.
Also, it was the first film to utilize the "Noiseless Recording System" developed by Western Electric. A New York Times review of the day put it this way: “The first picture to be presented by the recently discovered process whereby all noises, such as grating, popping and other surface sounds, are eliminated is "The Right to Love"...The excluding of bothersome noises is highly successful, for, because of the background of silence the players' voices are more life-like than ever. The quiet may seem at times too noticeable, but this is only because one has become accustomed to hearing the intrusive mechanical undertones.”
A pre-Hays code Paramount release (dealing with proscribed subjects like an illegitimate child), now owned by Universal, this feature has not been released on home video.
Opening the program will be one of the first promotional subjects made after the introduction of 3-color Technicolor. DINNER FOR EIGHT was made for Southern California Edison, and shows how wonderful it was to prepare a meal using Mrs. Jones' new all-electric kitchen. Restoration funded by the National Film Preservation Foundation for the Huntington Library and Gardens. Print from the original 1934 negative.