Click to contact Tim Dwight to submit an ad (free for SMPTE members).
Posted on SMPTE-NY 4/2/2014:
Please Apply Through Viacom Careers Website:
POSITION: Broadcast Engineering Technician
DEPARTMENT: Technical Operations
This is a hands-on position responsible for maintaining the technical integrity of a hybrid base band video/audio and IT infrastructure in a major Network Operations Center and uplink facility.
• Install, repair & maintain audio, video, RF, and server based broadcast systems
• Provide on-call support 24 hours per day, 365 per year. Support may entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to UPS/LIPA failures, storms or severe weather, and loss of personnel.
• Respond to technical emergencies; address prompt restoration of network outages.
• Ability to work independently on assignments and report back on progress
• Strong organizational and planning skills with ability to manage multiple mission critical assignments
• Ability to maintain and repair a variety of Baseband video/audio, Automation, Encoding, RF and Windows or Linux based server Equipment.
• Should be familiar with using Vistalink for configuring Evertz equipment.
• Provide accurate and timely technical changes to Engineering staff to keep the facility up to date
• Testing and certification of new installations or modifications
• Coordinate and supervise technical aspects for LIVE events
• Training of staff as needed
• Ability to repair analog or digital equipment.
• Familiar with configuring/troubleshooting Windows Server and/or Linux based systems.
• Flexible schedule
• AAS Electrical Engineering, AAS Electrical Engineering Technology or equivalent required, BS Electrical Engineering or Computer Science preferred, Windows experience required!
• 3 to 5 years experience in broadcast television, cable TV broadcaster or MSO
• Prior experience working in a high pressured environment delivering consistently sound judgment with mission critical assignments
• Ability to change priorities and handle last minute assignments
• Ability to train technical staff on current and future technology as new equipment is deployed.
• Manufacturer’s training and certification on Evertz, Sony, Motorola, Harris/Louth, SA/Cisco broadcast equipment a plus.
• Knowledge of AutoCAD, Windows operating systems, UNIX/Linux a plus
• Knowledge of analog and digital audio technology, satellite RF technology and distribution methods, data networks, servers, archive, distribution systems, analog and SMPTE standards
• Excellent communications, written and interpersonal skills
• FCC, CCNA, MCSE or SBE licenses/certifications a plus!