ST 2110 – A Complete Overview of the Technology and Challenges
The SMPTE 2110 suite of standards has generated great interest and increasing implementation. There is a great deal to learn about the philosophy of content flows plus the use of PTP (Precision Time Protocol). Gerard Philips of Arista will talk through the technology and how NMOS can get it all working.
The session will look at:
- The philosophy of component (essence) flows compared to SDI /ST 2022– including how much SDI are wasted space and the issue of the sound man’s video.
- The scope of ST 2110 and its parts – and how it will help future image size, bit depth colour, space frame rate etc.
- The use of RFCs and how everything is aligned by time references and SDP.
- PTP and how it fits with 2110.
- What ST2110 does not do and where NMOS fits in.
- We discuss network design and switch availability - then onto SDN v IGMP etc.
Gerard Phillips is a Systems Engineer at Arista and an experienced broadcast technologist with over 22 years’ experience driving innovation at Snell and Wilcox, Snell and SAM. With a focus on Media and Entertainment, Gerard’s goal is to help bridge the knowledge gap between the broadcast and IP industries as we make the transition from SDI to IP for Live & Remote Production and Playout.
The Orange tower is in the centre of the Media City Salford campus.
Accessible by Car Bus and Tram