SMPTE-HPA 2017 Student Film Festival
Open to full-time students, the SMPTE-HPA Student Film Festival is an international competition that draws entries from around the globe. As the festival focuses on technology, students should ideally major in an area that emphasizes engineering, science, advanced technologies, or fundamental theories associated with motion-imaging, sound, metadata, and workflows consistent with SMPTE’s field of interest. Film festival judges are a diverse group of accomplished motion-imaging professionals from around the world.
This year’s event features an extended array of categories:
• Innovative Use of Technology in a Live-Action Narrative Short (five minutes or less)
• Innovative Use of Technology in an Animated Narrative Short (five minutes or less)
• Innovative Use of Technology in an Experimental Short (three minutes or less)
• Innovative Use of a Mobile Device or Tablet in Production of a Short, Narrative, or Documentary (five minutes or less)
• Innovative Use of Analog Technologies in a Live-Action Narrative Short (five minutes or less)
• Innovative of Virtual Reality to Produce Interactive Content (five minutes or less)
• Documentary Short With Technology as the Subject Matter (five minutes or less)
Submissions for the SMPTE-HPA Film Festival are due 30 June 2017. Official selections will be presented — and award-winners announced — at the SMPTE 2017 Annual Technical Conference & Exhibition (SMPTE 2017), Oct. 23-26 in Hollywood, California.