CCNA Switching, Routing, and Wireless Essentials
- Work with routers, switches and wireless devices to configure and troubleshoot VLANs, Wireless LANs and Inter-VLAN routing.
- Develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills using real equipment and Cisco Packet Tracer.
- Configure and troubleshoot redundancy on a switched network using STP and Ether Channel.
- Explain how to support available and reliable networks using dynamic addressing and first-hop redundancy protocols.
- Personal attention and access to your instructors via the online discussion forum
- 1h-long weekly live, online, interactive instructor-led coaching sessions
- Recorded instructor coaching sessions for on-demand playback and review
- Two attempts at each quiz and final exam
- Cisco Certificate of Achievement (Participants must meet minimum course requirements), and a Networking Academy badge for completing the course
- Continued access to course materials through SMPTE’s Virtual Classroom Alumni Center when you opt in
Delve further into the world of networking with the second Networking course in our 3-course series. This course focuses on switching technologies and router operations that support small-to-medium business networks, including wireless local area networks (WLAN) and security concepts. You will perform basic network configuration and troubleshooting, identify and mitigate LAN security threats, and configure and secure a basic WLAN. Recommended preparation for this course would be our Introduction to Networks course, or having equivalent knowledge.
Building upon concepts from “Introduction to Networks”, “Switching, Routing, and Wireless Essentials” covers the architecture, components, and operations of routers and switches in a small network. Participants learn how to configure a router and a switch for basic functionality. By the end of this course, participants will be able to configure and troubleshoot routers and switches and resolve common issues with the single area and multi-area OSPF, virtual LANs, and inter-VLAN routing in both IPv4 and IPv6 networks.
Participants who complete the Routing and Switching Essentials course will be able to perform the following functions:
- Determine how a router will forward traffic based on the contents of a routing table.
- Explain how switching operates in a small to medium-sized business network.
- Use monitoring tools and network management protocols to troubleshoot data networks.
- Configure monitoring tools available for small to medium-sized business networks.
- Configure initial settings on a network device.
- Configure Ethernet switch ports.
- Implement VLANs.
- Implement static routing.
- Implement DHCP on a router.
- Implement network address translation (NAT).
- Implement access control lists (ACLs) to filter traffic
Link to purchase SRWE Course Booklet
Link to purchase SRWE Companion Guide
CCNA1: Introduction to Networks — William Hocker
As a Cisco Academy Instructor and faculty member at St. Louis Community College, William Hocker has extensive experience in delivering Cisco education. His field experiences include providing infrastructure support for the American Stock Exchange (AMEX) in New York; serving as a VoIP technician on the State Farm Insurance VoIP project through World Wide Technology; and acting as a senior conversion engineer for Bank of America's (BoA) VoIP project in Missouri and Charlotte, N.C., corporate headquarters. Hocker holds several degrees in computer networking, including a master’s degree from Fort Hays State University, and has completed certifications including the CompTIA A+, Network+, Cisco CCAI, CCNA R&S, and CCNP VOICE.
- Any of SMPTE's Virtual Classroom courses are also available as private sessions for organizations. Contact us for details about private course options and with any curriculum questions.
- If you register but cannot attend and would like your registration fee applied to a future course, please contact us. A $75 transfer fee will apply.
- If you cannot meet your course deadline, you can request an extension. A $100 extension fee will apply. Please contact us to ask for an extension.
- Refunds will be issued for cancellations made at least three weeks prior to the course start date, less a 10% ($100 for CCNA courses) cancellation fee. No refunds will be issued after that time.
- SMPTE Education Team contact: email@example.com