CCNA1 Introductions to Networks
- Advance your career as an IT professional by learning how to install, configure, operate, and troubleshoot medium-size routed and switched networks
- Get hands-on experience with the tools and technologies essential to internet working, routing, and switching
- Learn from materials produced by Cisco and presented by expert instructors from SMPTE
- Gain access to assignments and applications specific to Cisco’s training curricula
- Ensure that you’re mastering the skills needed to take the CCNA Routing and Switching certification exams
- Personal attention and access to your instructors via the online discussion forum
- 1h-long weekly live, online, interactive instructor-led coaching sessions
- Recorded instructor coaching sessions for on-demand playback and review
- Two attempts at each quiz and final exam
- Cisco Certificate of Achievement (Participants must meet minimum course requirements), and a Networking Academy badge for completing the course
- Continued access to course materials through SMPTE’s Virtual Classroom Alumni Center when you opt in
Led by William Hocker, Introduction to Networks (ITN) covers networking architecture, structure, and functions. The course introduces the principles and structure of IP addressing and the fundamentals of Ethernet concepts, media, and operations to provide a foundation for the curriculum.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Build simple LANs, perform basic configurations for routers and switches, and implement IPv4 and IPv6 addressing schemes.
- Configure routers, switches, and end devices to provide access to local and remote network resources and to enable end-to-end connectivity between remote devices.
- Develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills using real equipment and Cisco Packet Tracer.
- Configure and troubleshoot connectivity a small network using security best practices
Take a step towards strengthening your career with this introduction to how networks operate. This first course in the 3-course series introduces architectures, models, protocols, and networking elements – functions needed to support the operations and priorities of Fortune 500 companies to small innovative retailers. You will even get the chance to build simple local area networks (LANs) yourself. You will have a working knowledge of IP addressing schemes, foundational network security, and be able to perform basic configurations for routers and switches. You’ll also earn a Networking Academy badge for completing this course.
Link to purchase ITN Course Booklet
Link to purchase Introduction to Networks Companion Guide
CCNA1: Introduction to Networks — William Hocker
As a Cisco Academy Instructor and faculty member at St. Louis Community College, William Hocker has extensive experience in delivering Cisco education. His field experiences include providing infrastructure support for the American Stock Exchange (AMEX) in New York; serving as a VoIP technician on the State Farm Insurance VoIP project through World Wide Technology; and acting as a senior conversion engineer for Bank of America's (BoA) VoIP project in Missouri and Charlotte, N.C., corporate headquarters. Hocker holds several degrees in computer networking, including a master’s degree from Fort Hays State University, and has completed certifications including the CompTIA A+, Network+, Cisco CCAI, CCNA R&S, and CCNP VOICE.
- Any of SMPTE's Virtual Classroom courses are also available as private sessions for organizations. Contact us for details about private course options and with any curriculum questions.
- If you register but cannot attend and would like your registration fee applied to a future course, please contact us. A $75 transfer fee will apply.
- If you cannot meet your course deadline, you can request an extension. A $100 extension fee will apply. Please contact us to ask for an extension.
- Refunds will be issued for cancellations made at least three weeks prior to the course start date, less a 10% ($100 for CCNA courses) cancellation fee. No refunds will be issued after that time.
- SMPTE Education Team contact: firstname.lastname@example.org