Imaging System Fundamentals: From Light to Lenses - Self-Study
- Access to your instructors via the online discussion forum*
- Limited class size for more personalized attention
- Weekly live, online, interactive instructor-led coaching sessions*
- Recorded instructor coaching sessions for on-demand playback and review
- SMPTE Certificate of Achievement**
- Continued access to course materials through SMPTE’s Virtual Classroom Alumni Center
Imaging systems are an essential part of most workflows implemented across the media and entertainment industry. Knowledge of the fundamental science and physics behind imaging is an important key to understanding not only the “why” behind imaging systems but also the “how.” The SMPTE Virtual Classroom course titled “Imaging System Fundamentals: From Light to Lenses” will enable you to better understand the imaging systems used every day to capture and transform the visual content that drives the industry. By significantly increasing your familiarity with the science behind today’s imaging systems, you can improve your ability to discuss the technical aspects of moving pictures and help your company be more effective in acquiring, optimizing, monitoring, or displaying those images.
- Learn about imaging system fundamentals from the very experts teaching the next generation of industry professionals
- Gain a stronger understanding of imaging physics, photographic science, human vision and perception, image capture and display technologies (both analog and digital), and digital image processing
- Find out how the technical elements of imaging systems relate to practical considerations of everyday media workflows
- Learn the most important laws of math and physics in relation to imaging systems
- Enrich your technical knowledge and vocabulary so that you can contribute more meaningfully to daily operations in your current position, or in an expanded professional role
- Module 1. Imaging Chain, Energy, Electromagnetic Radiation, Wave-Particle Duality, Spatiotemporal Wave Equation, Wave Propagation Speed
- Module 2. Index of Refraction, Snell’s Law, Introduction to EMR Spectra
- Module 3. Radiometry, Planck’s Equation, Blackbodies, Correlated Color Temperature, Photometry
- Module 4. Interference, Diffraction, Polarization
- Module 5. Spectral Color Science, Absorption, Reflection, Transmission, Goniophotometry
- Module 6. Pinhole Optics, Lenses, Refractive Power, Lensmaker Equation, Focal Length, Positive/Negative Lenses, Ray Tracing
- Module 7. Gauss’s Equation, Aberration, Depth-of-Field, f-number
- Module 8. Photographic Exposure, Depth-of-Field, Field-of-View, Reciprocity Law
Any of SMPTE's Virtual Classroom courses are available as private sessions for organizations. Contact us for details about private course options and with any curriculum questions.
If you register, but cannot attend and would like your registration fee applied to a future course, please contact us. A $75 transfer fee will apply.
If you cannot meet your course deadline, you can request an extension. A $100 extension fee will apply. Please contact us to ask for an extension.
Refunds will be issued for cancellations made at least three weeks prior to the course start date, less a 10% ($100 for CCNA courses) cancellation fee. No refunds will be issued after that time.
SMPTE Education Team contact: firstname.lastname@example.org