What you'll get:
- Access to your instructors via the online discussion forum*
- Limited class size for more personalized attention
- Weekly live, online, interactive instructor-led coaching sessions*
- Recorded instructor coaching sessions for on-demand playback and review
- SMPTE Certificate of Achievement**
- Continued access to course materials through SMPTE’s Virtual Classroom Alumni Center
Our virtual classes are now available at 50% off. Please register for a course using the SMPTE50 discount code.
Member fees: $599 ($99 for Imaging Systems Fundamentals course).
Non-Member fees: $749 ($149 for Imaging Systems Fundamentals course).
Imaging systems are an essential part of most workflows implemented across the media and entertainment industry. Knowledge of the fundamental science and physics behind imaging is an important key to understanding not only the “why” behind imaging systems but also the “how.” The SMPTE Virtual Classroom course titled “Imaging System Fundamentals: From Light to Lenses” will enable you to better understand the imaging systems used every day to capture and transform the visual content that drives the industry. By significantly increasing your familiarity with the science behind today’s imaging systems, you can improve your ability to discuss the technical aspects of moving pictures and help your company be more effective in acquiring, optimizing, monitoring, or displaying those images.
- Learn about imaging system fundamentals from the very experts teaching the next generation of industry professionals
- Gain a stronger understanding of imaging physics, photographic science, human vision and perception, image capture and display technologies (both analog and digital), and digital image processing
- Find out how the technical elements of imaging systems relate to practical considerations of everyday media workflows
- Learn the most important laws of math and physics in relation to imaging systems
- Enrich your technical knowledge and vocabulary so that you can contribute more meaningfully to daily operations in your current position, or in an expanded professional role
Led by David L. Long and Ricardo Figueroa of the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT), this course has been developed for motion picture technologists and creatives interested in understanding the fundamental science behind light, color, optics, and imaging principles. (While prior knowledge of college-level math and physics may be helpful, it is NOT required.)
- Module 1. Imaging Chain, Energy, Electromagnetic Radiation, Wave-Particle Duality, Spatiotemporal Wave Equation, Wave Propagation Speed
- Module 2. Index of Refraction, Snell’s Law, Introduction to EMR Spectra
- Module 3. Radiometry, Planck’s Equation, Blackbodies, Correlated Color Temperature, Photometry
- Module 4. Interference, Diffraction, Polarization
- Module 5. Spectral Color Science, Absorption, Reflection, Transmission, Goniophotometry
- Module 6. Pinhole Optics, Lenses, Refractive Power, Lensmaker Equation, Focal Length, Positive/Negative Lenses, Ray Tracing
- Module 7. Gauss’s Equation, Aberration, Depth-of-Field, f-number
- Module 8. Photographic Exposure, Depth-of-Field, Field-of-View, Reciprocity Law