What you'll learn:
- Learn how to describe the different elements of UHD acquisition, including UHD cameras, sensors, lenses, sampling formats, bit rates, and storage requirements
- Gain the knowledge to describe and perform UHD signal conversion, formatting, and content distribution using the appropriate UHD formats and color conversion techniques, bit rates, c odecs, and UHD content distribution methods
- Be able to differentiate technologies for UHD TV displays and display enhancements, as well as choose the appropriate direct view or projection display for UHD viewing
- Understand the benchmarks and connection formats of UHD signal management and calculate the required bit rates for signal transport and display interfacing
- Master the appropriate application of standards to acquisition, formats, transport, and interfacing UHD video
- Get insights into the future of UHD TV, from camera to display screen
What you'll get:
- Personal attention and access to your instructors via the online discussion forum
- 1h-long weekly live, online, interactive instructor-led coaching sessions
- Recorded instructor coaching sessions for on-demand playback and review
- Two attempts at each quiz and final exam
- SMPTE Certificate of Achievement (Participants must meet minimum course requirements (a 70% cumulative score for all quizzes, exams, and assignments) to receive the certificate)
- Continued access to course materials through SMPTE’s Virtual Classroom Alumni Center when you opt in
Our virtual classes are now available at 50% off. Please register for a course using the SMPTE50 discount code.
Member fees: $599 ($99 for Imaging Systems Fundamentals course).
Non-Member fees: $749 ($149 for Imaging Systems Fundamentals course).
If you’re an engineer, technician, or craft engineer working with new video formats including UHD, or if you’re an editor or equipment supplier who simply wants to know more about the future of video, this course is for you! Although UHD video and displays have been around for nearly a decade, only recently has the format been broadly embraced by the broadcast and OTT industries. The basic terminology may be familiar to you, but do you really have a handle on what UHD means and how to handle the format across content creation and distribution? When you complete this course, you’ll be able to talk about UHD in depth. You’ll have the knowledge to ensure that your organization performs critical processing tasks correctly or uses the appropriate standards to support transport and display of UHD content. You will better understand the future of next-generation video formats and be better prepared to lead change and growth within your organization.
Peter H. Putman
Peter H. Putman, CTS®, KT2B, is president of ROAM Consulting LLC in Doylestown, PA. A 40-year industry veteran, Pete provides consulting, training, and product testing/development services to manufacturers and end users with a focus on display technology, signal management and distribution, and RF and wireless connectivity.
Pete has authored hundreds of columns, features, and tech tutorials for numerous consumer, trade, and association publications. He has also been a regular presenter and session chair at major trade shows and technical conferences, including SMPTE, SCTE, CES, NAB Las Vegas, NAB East, the HPA Tech Retreat, Integrated Systems Europe, InfoComm, and CEDIA Expo.
Pete has taught seminar and workshops at InfoComm for over 20 years, is a Senior Academy member of AVIXA (InfoComm) faculty, and was recognized as their 2008 Educator of the Year. He is also an Education Director and a member of the board of editors for the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE).
Pete was awarded a Bachelor of Arts degree in communications from Seton Hall University and a Master of Science degree in Television and Film from Syracuse University. He has also held an amateur radio Extra Class license since 1982.