With higher resolution, wider colour gamut and extended dynamic range, the new Ultra High Definition TV (UHD) standards define a container which allows content creators to offer the consumer a much more immersive visual experience. However there are some artefacts noted within the container particularly around HDR material. Olie Bauman outlines why YCrCb are used and the human vision systems response to changes in chroma / luminance and the Correlation between R, G and B
Welcome to the UK Section serving all who are working with the technology
of moving pictures and associated sound & metadata
– creatively, practically and innovatively in any format, and on any platform.
over the past 5 years since reforming
– and is now the third largest section in SMPTE with over 580 members active
in the industries we cover -- including students drawn for universities across the UK.
we have a Governor - Bruce Devlin Chief Media Scientist Dalet & Mr MXF speaking
for the UK on the highest Board in SMPTE. Read about the Sections growth
- Meeting others working in our industries - that what SMPTE meetings are all about
- Receiving the Motion Imaging Journal (not associate members) howto
- full of the latest techniques and news from SMPTE sections around the World
- Participating the Technology relevant webcasts at no Charge (save $49 per event)
- Access our archive - Look back over SMPTEs work over the past 100 years
- Attending events conferences and Courses at member discount rates
– you can easily save your subscription (and it can be offset against tax)
- Discounts on conference papers, proceedings and Standards in the SMPTE Digital Library
- Getting Preferential booking for our meetings
- Supporting those joining our industries through the Graduate Initiative
- Taking part in standards work and directing the way our industries move
- Just being an active member of the world’s largest Members society for those working with the moving image, its audio and metadata- on any platform - Film, Television , Digital media
At only $145 – about £120 tax deductible - you get so much – and an opportunity to enhance your career..... And put you in touch with others working across the creative and video industries of the UK. and recent Graduates get a discount!
(Student members free then just $10 £7 a year)
It is really very easy – just Join us and Join in today
We need everyone to just do that little bit extra to take SMPTE across the UK to even greater things – and to reflect and support the breadth of the industries in the UK and your locality
SMPTE UK Section has a strong tradition of meeting over ample refreshments
for some time before welcoming the speaker at our regular evening gatherings
Thursdays In London and often Tuesdays outside London .
We look forward to welcoming you at our next meeting
UK section meetings and events
We require all to register for SMPTE UK Section events
We meet over Ample Refreshments for 45+minutes - formal business starts at 7pm
The buzz of the industry for the last few years has undoubtedly been ‘the cloud’, a term that is much used and often abused. Customer dialogue often begins with wanting to move services to the public cloud but without the full appreciation of the implications, timescales, security issues and costs. This presentation will explore developments in software-defined solutions for playout and automation, the challenges in virtualising them, the considerations required to move these services onto the public cloud and the benefits/trade-offs thereof.
High end TV and Movie productions are now made for HDR distribution in both Cinema and Television. There are several HDR Tv distribution formats supported by the TV set makers and several HDR Cinema Solutions coming to the market.
The experts at Film light will highlight the benefits and pitfalls of HDR / WCG grading for the various standards in the market.